History of Minster
St Nicholas' Church and Priory was founded by Herbert de Losinga (Bishop of Norwich) in 1101 as a penance for an act of simony. It is the largest parish church in the country and arguably the oldest building in Great Yarmouth.
In 1942 the church was completely gutted during a German air raid leaving only the Norman tower and the walls standing.
The church was rebuilt (architect - Stephen Dykes Bower) and the Church was reconsecrated in 1961 by the Bishop of Norwich.
On December 9th, 2011 the Lord Bishop of Norwich designated St Nicholas Church, Great Yarmouth a Minster Church. From then on, its official title is The Minster Church of St Nicholas.